I am one of those that, when it comes to cakes and cupcakes, they have to be moist or it's not worth the calories. Ya' know what I'm saying? Not worth it. If you're going to splurge, splurge on the best! Well, these cupcakes are the perfect cupcakes. They sing "holiday" first off. Second, they are every bit moist, with that well-known gingerbread flavor bursting through, and the frosting is so good! Brown sugar buttercream...need I say more?
I also made my very own mini gingerbread men to adorn these cupcakes but store bought would work in a pinch. Bring these to your next holiday party and you'll impress the socks off everyone.
Adapted from Tidy Mom
- Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin tins with baking cups.
- In mixing bowl, using whisk attachment, combine oil, sugar, and molasses; then add beaten egg until well mixed.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Whisk into molasses mixture until well combined.
- Boil water and remove from heat. Add baking soda and whisk into batter.
- Fill baking cups 2/3 full and bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Set aside to cool.
- Top with brown sugar butter cream. Garnish with gingerbread man cookie.
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk butter and shortening until fluffy. Add brown sugar, salt, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Continue mixing until well blended. Gradually add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Until you have a very thick gooey mixture.
- On the highest speed of your mixer, stream in the heavy whipping cream pouring nice and slow until desired consistency. (you may need more or less cream depending on temperature and humidity)
Labels: Brown sugar Buttercream, Christmas treats, cupcakes, gingerbread cupcakes